There have been some really impressive demonstrations in solidarity with the Palestinians, congratulations to everyone who attended. Such demonstrations will be seen in Palestine, and let Palestinians know that they are not forgotten. They will inspire others to take part.
But there are other forces at work. Expecting the Murdoch press to tell the truth about Israel, is like expecting Murdoch tell the truth about climate change, or to phone up the six thousand printers he sacked to apologise, and offer financial recompense. However, we pay for the BBC. It is supposed to be honest and impartial. I am sure that I am not the only one who looks or listens to the reporting of Palestine on the BBC with disgust.
A long time ago I gave up complaining to the BBC. They are largely judge and jury of their own conduct. Even if a complaint is found valid the BBC policies remain.
However, some of us need to go through the procedures, just so that we can say they knew what they were doing when they covered up Israeli Apartheid.
This is my complaint about an interview with an Israeli spokesperson
1. The Israeli spokesman said Hamas too over Gaza Strip in
In fact Hamas won the 2006 election. He was not challenged.
2. He stated that Hamas did not want a two state solution.
In fact the Israeli policy of support for the illegal settlements have made a two state solution impossible. (He was not challenged)
3. He stated that Israel has the right to defend itself.
The interviewer refused to ask whether the Palestinians had the same right.
4. He stated that Israel had no soldiers in the Gaza strip.
In fact Israel operates targeted assassinations, a blockade in land sea and air.
5. He was not asked about the Human Rights Watch report that stated that Israel operated Apartheid practices against Palestinians. This would help explain why Palestinians in Israel, Gaza, Jerusalem and the West Bank are protesting.
What do we do about media?
- Use all the alternative media that we can. Websites, webinars, Facebook, twitter WhatsApp…..
- Sheffield PSC is offering small groups Zoom sessions on what you can do. Write to us if you are interested.
- In my opinion, at some stage we should protest at BBC
We also need to make our own case for the Palestinians this is my poem.
Sheffield PSC Zoom meeting
“Standing with Palestinians: What we can do.”
Open Zoom meeting Wednesday June 2nd at 7.00pm.
Check our Facebook page for the Eventbrite link: